The House of Venoge & Cie, a member of the Lanson-BCC Group, along with the Houses of Lanson, Philipponnat, Bonnet, Boizel, was founded in 1837 by the Swiss emigrant Henri-Marc de Venoge together with his son Joseph. They choose as their house symbol the blue ribbon (Cordon Bleu) which symbolizes the river Venoge in their native Switzerland and the Order of the Holy Spirit (Ordre du Saint-Esprit), the best-known chivalric order of the French monarchy. A year later, Henri-Marc revolutionizes the marketing of the time, creating the first illustrated label in the history of champagne.
In 1845, the business passed into the hands of Joseph de Venoge, who became a prominent figure in the high society of Epernay. He was followed, in 1866, by his son, Gaëtan, a great lover of art, but also a good merchant who considerably developed exports, especially on the American market. Under his leadership, de Venoge received in 1876 the Grand Prize of Excellence at the Universal Exhibition, and in 1882 he became a founding member of the Syndicat des Grandes Marques de Champagne. Between 1892 and 1922, de Venoge was run by Gaëtan's daughter Yvonne de Venoge and her husband, the Marquis Adrien de Mun. Together, the two increased sales among the aristocracy of Paris and Europe, reaching sales of over one million of bottles at a time when the entire Champagne region was selling 30 million bottles. After the death of the Marquis in 1922, the House was run by his wife together with her mother. The last direct descendant of the de Venoge family left the management of the company in 1958.
Golden in color with green reflections and a persistent bubble, it has an opulent bouquet of citrus, currants and anise. On the palate, it is a very harmonious, fresh, strong and ample champagne, with a light vinosity, aromas of yellow fruits and a persistent aftertaste.
Jancis Robinson 16.5/20
La Revue du Vin de France 17/20